Pictures on the Wall
8:26 PM![]() |
| (This is Gabby's wall but it's the same idea as Aaron's) |
Oh my goodness.
And I've just been trying to prepare physically, spiritually, emotionally, etc. I've noticed that every day for the past while I feel a little tease from the base of my throat and the back of my eyes. Dude, ever.y.thing. makes me emotional for some reason. And I fight it when people are around. SO hard. For example, I was helping my brother stick photos from our childhood on his wall. See above photo.
As we worked, Aaron played music that was making me ridiculously nostalgic. (Music can do that to a person. Like today I was jamming to old favs such as this one, and it just gets me feeling all the feels.) I stared as hard as I could at the pictures as I stuck them with tape so Aaron wouldn't see me almost cry.
OR I've been studying The Book of Mormon, other books of scripture, prophetic teachings, and just other good material in general. And it just GETS me! Dad showed me a video this morning and Gabby thought I wouldn't like it because of the girl's singing. Honestly, though, I was absolutely touched and felt a warmth spread in my heart. Dad asked me if I liked it, but I couldn't talk for a second as I had to swallow my tears. Good news: I have allergy-induced chronic red eyes in the summertime so I can blame it on the allergies.
![]() |
| Pictured: minty tea and the freaking best book, people. I learned soooo much from it. |
![]() |
| Taiwan on the MTC map. HOLLA. |
![]() |
| Gabby and me outside at the MTC. I know my dress looks really trippy from the computer. |
"Mom?" I began. "It just seems like life gets harder and harder. When you get married it seems dandy, but after a while it just gets stressful. Then you have kids and you stress even more! I mean. Is it even worth it? It's so much easier to have only oneself to worry about."
"Of course it's worth it," she responded. And she explained why.
Pain becomes deeper when you love people deeply. Either bad things can happen to those people you love, or solid relationships wane or falter. This can make life difficult at times. But if we didn't suffer, there would be no way to feel the profound happiness that comes from loving those close to you. Mom said that she's never been more fulfilled in her life, serving us, being with us, the ones she loves.
As I think back on those pictures plastered on Aaron's wall, I remember those moments we had. They're so special. They, in some ways, have defined us, molded us into the people we are today. And every moment we get in the present may become pictures on our future walls. We must cherish them when they come. I'm so grateful to my mom and dad for raising my siblings and me. If God blesses me with a family of my own, I want to emulate my parents' example. And I want to continue to love people for the rest of my life like they do. I'm grateful for all the things we've been through as a family--even the grief, even the fear. Even the pain; because of those things, we have known exquisite joy.









0 comments