Artist's Statement
12:25 AMThis statement of mine is flexible, and it'll probably change as I learn more. Because, like, I honestly know nothing yet. Not much, anyway.
We were asked to write a short artist's statement following a specific format for one of my classes. I loved hearing my classmates' statements; they were moving. In the two days before that, I slept with a metaphorical scroll of ideas by my head while working on the assignment. (Or rather, I tried to sleep but the ideas woke me up too, too early. Why did I care so much about this?) And I even ended up having to cut it wayyyyyyy down when I presented it, memorized, to the class today. But it's below in its full form.
My, I feel surprisingly vulnerable putting this here.
I am an artist.
I am an artist because I am a human. Because I always want to create things. Someone once told me that the secret to painting is to just buy the paint. I’m an artist because I bought the paint.
I am an artist even though my work sucks a lot of the time. I am an artist even though I usually have no idea what I'm doing.
I am an artist when I do the work. When I prepare. When I tell you one of my deepest secrets through a song, or when I give freely of myself in the lines I say. I’m an artist when I give you my heart with the words hidden in me, even when it's difficult and scary. Especially when it’s difficult and scary. I am an artist when I let you see me.
I am an artist.

0 comments