Giving Thanks and More Thought

10:40 PM

There are roughly a million movies I'll never see, books I'll never read, songs I'll never hear, and people I'll never meet. I have so little time in this life. And I won't ever touch the stars.

But I'm thankful for all the movies I have seen, books I have read, songs I have heard, and people I have met. I'm thankful for the time I do have, and that I get to choose what to do with it. I'm thankful that I can see the stars clearly from this little patch of earth in Phoenix, AZ.

Everything that I've experienced has led me to become who I am today, and some of those things aren't, like, awesome or desirable at first. But I know, without a doubt in my mind, that "everything you go through grows you." Those are not my words, but I agree with them wholeheartedly. And I'm thankful that Heavenly Father put us here to learn, and that He sent His Son to rescue us during our struggles.

I'm grateful for so many things, really. And I could write a list for you, but I think I'll just hand write one for myself. An on-going list. One that I can add to daily.

Thanksgiving was absolutely wonderful, and just what I needed. Cooking, roof-sitting, pie, stimulating discussion with family members. I love each of them so much, even though they're obnoxious when it comes to taking pictures.

~Not everyone who was there is pictured below~

Probably the Best Picture Anyone Could Possibly Take of The Loves

Aaron's plate

Half of the spread

The Selfie that Did Not Make My Snapchat Story

Pretty LIT tree

Dad and Thanny

Grandpa and Aaron

Grandma Maash Joins Us for a Picture

Mine and Gabby's Artwork out of Vegetables

Something Else I'm Grateful For

Lastly, I had a realization. Again. I've had it before. However, it was more meaningful this time around.

My grandma Maash asked my mom's cousin David if he was going to miss them when he moved to L.A. His honest reply was "Mm, probably not." We all laughed a bit and he said "I'm just not really the type to miss people."

"Well. We miss you already!" said Grandma.

Before really thinking about it, I sort of just blurted "That's not a good place to be."

"What?" asked Mom. "Not really missing people?"

"No, no. Missing someone when you're with them. Because then you're not enjoying their company."

Instead of enjoying their company, you're just worrying about what it will be like when they're gone. And that is huge to me, because I'm totally guilty of that! I want to soak up every ounce of what a person is giving me when I'm with them, and I want to give back. That's my goal, at least, and admittedly I don't always do it. If you focus, though, on the present moment, you will actually have been with the person. You'll have more vivid memories to smile (or even frown) about when they are away. You might miss them when they're gone, sure, but I think that's sometimes how I know they're real.

So there's that. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you remember what you're thankful for, and I hope you cherish each moment spent with those you love. And probably everyone kind of too.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts