My Autumn Things
5:52 PMThing #1:
A playlist. I made it with songs that remind me of crispy fallen leaves and a campfire in the canyon.
Ragged Wood -- Fleet Foxes
Hold You in My Arms -- Ray LaMontagne
Forget Me Not -- The Civil Wars
The Ballad of Love and Hate -- The Avett Brothers
As We Ran -- The National Parks
Michigan -- The Milk Carton Kids
Where'd You Go (Acoustic) -- Boy & Bear
In The Embers -- Sleeping At Last
Take Yours, I'll Take Mine -- Matthew Mole
Firelight -- Young the Giant
Thing #2:
A favorite part of fall. For me, it's the colors, bar none. (I still laugh to myself when I use the expression "bar none" because my sixth grade math teacher would say it ALLLLL the time. And I used to think it was spelled "bar nun".) I like wearing sweaters too, as many people do, and I smile when the tingling aroma of pumpkin pie spice wafts by.
Thing #3:
A memory. When I was younger, I remember raking leaves with my dad in the backyard of our old house. We'd pile them up into a huge mound, big enough to jump in. I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me and jumped high into the air. Well, I probably only got about four inches off the ground if we're being honest, but I felt like I was flying. And nothing beats the sensation of being cushioned by the leaves that smell like earth and dirt and wet grass. Dad would reassemble the scattered leaves with the rake, and then it was Aaron's turn to go. So it went on, taking turns leaping into the pile, and came smile after smile after smile.
Thing #4:
A thought. I'm looking forward to the season. Yes, it gets colder and I don't love the cold. But fall is a reminder that just as the trees let go of their leaves, so must I let go of everything that I am not meant to keep.
Thing #5:
A quote.
Have a beautiful day.

0 comments